Do you want to turn your love of music into a career? Study a course that can get you started in the music industry and take your career nationally or internationally.
This one-year course is a perfect blend of theory and practice, taught be industry-skilled tutors and delivered in professional kit-out studios. You'll learn how to compose, produce and record music and get plenty of opportunities to perform in front of live audiences, building your confidence with real-life experiences.
To complement your technical and artistry skills, you'll also learn how to promote your own music and gain introductory business skills.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Music (Level 4)
|Next intake||Feb 2022 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$3,656 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Road Manager/Coordinator
- Festival organiser/assistant
Topics you'll cover
- Music Theory
- Musical Instrument
- Music Technology
- Music Industry
- Music Identity
|Indicative Fees *||$3,656 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- Open Entry
- All applicants are required to attend an audition to demonstrate their instrumental or vocal abilities
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
- All applicants are required to attend an audition to demonstrate their instrumental or vocal proficiency.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||21 Feb 2022|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Diploma in Music (Level 5)
- New Zealand Certificate in Communications Media (Level 5)