Alf is well known in Tauranga; he followed his father (Robert) into photography as a 17-year old school leaver and after serving in the army during WWII, he returned home and ran the family-owned photography business. A business Alf’s son also eventually took over from him.
Between 1946 and 1956 Alf had friends who were learner pilots and it was during flights with them that he discovered a passion for aerial photography. These photographs remained unpublished until a few years ago when Alf decided they could be put to better use. Alf’s 160-page book ‘Tauranga – Historic Tauranga From Above’ was published and stocked in local bookstores.
The profit has been donated to Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology in the form of the ‘Alf Rendell Photography Scholarship’. Each year one deserving Bachelor of Creative Industries (Tauranga) or Bachelor of Creative Technologies (Rotorua) student with a keen interest in photography will be awarded the scholarship. Students are required to submit a photography portfolio in order to apply for the scholarship.
- Applications are open to any Bachelor of Creative Industries (Tauranga) or Bachelor of Creative Technologies (Rotorua) student
- Open to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents only
One award of $2,000 is available.
Application Form / More information
BCI students: Please upload the following with your application to the Alf Rendell Scholarship on Google classroom (classroom code y1ayz1).
BCT students: Please upload the following to your USB with your application form.
- Proof of NZ Citizenship or Permanent residency (such as NZ birth certificate or passport.
- A current digital photography portfolio of 15-30 photographs.
- An explanation about your portfolio (no more than 400 words).
- A brief statement on how photography will be part of your of your intended career.
- A brief statement on how you will use the scholarship money.