New Zealand’s hospitality industry wants chefs with a range of skills. Take your cooking skills to the next level and you’ll go places!
In this one-year culinary arts course you'll get plenty of hands-on experience to advance your culinary talents.
You'll spend four weeks on placement as part of a real-life kitchen team and we team you up with other hospitality students to plan, organise, prepare and run events on campus for invited guests.
You'll also learn introductory management skills, such as planning and costing menus, and find out about product development, innovation, design and marketing.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Diploma in Cookery (Advanced) (Cookery) (Level 5)
|Next intake||Feb 2023 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$7,146 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Senior‐level opportunities as chefs
Topics you'll cover
- Artisan foods: cheese and cheese-making, advanced cold larder, condiments and breads
- Meat, poultry and fish
- Sausage-making, salamis and smallgoods, curing, brining, smoking
- Ethnic cuisine, global, local and cultural influences on food and beverage, global cuisine trends
- Food safety supervision
- Menu planning and costing
- Food and beverage service (barista, restaurant)
- Food and beverage matching (wine/beer)
- Planning, buying, costing and control
- Roles in the commercial kitchen, managing staff and staff rosters
- Planning for food and beverage events
- Supervising food production
- Sustainable practices
- Market research, design and promotion
- Food product development and showcase
- Market Day event
- Industry work-based project (unpaid)
|Indicative Fees *||$7,146 for domestic students|
|Course related costs|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- hold the New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 4) or an equivalent qualification as approved by relevant department staff, OR
- be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills in culinary arts to the relevant department staff.
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
You'll need to confirm you have the physical capability to safely withstand 4‐8 hour sessions of working in the commercial kitchen environment.
Due to health and safety factors and space constraints, which restrict the number of students who can be accommodated in the commercial kitchens, limits on numbers may be imposed on this course.
English language requirements
Level 5 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||20 Feb 2023|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||20 Feb 2023|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||17 Jul 2023|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- Culinary arts or hospitality at diploma and degree level