Do you want to start your own tourism business or upskill in your career?
Whether you have a new product idea for your company or are thinking of starting your own business, you’ll need specialist skills to turn these goals into reality. Innovation is key to any successful tourism business, and this course will help create and grow your ideas from conception to commercial success.
This course is tailored specifically for the tourism sector and will enable you to learn to identify opportunities within the industry and create innovative solutions, while developing your entrepreneurial skills and knowledge.
If you already have assets and want to start your own tour company, have a travel app to develop or any other ideas you want to bring to life, this course will give you skills in product development, branding and marketing and provide you the opportunity to test your products and services in a real business environment.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- Graduate Diploma in Tourism Innovation (Level 7)
|Next intake||Feb 2023 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$6,918 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Graduates can pursue employment and career opportunities in a wide range of organisations and roles in the tourism sector, as well as the hospitality and service industries, and wider trade and enterprise sectors. Graduates may become self-employed or progress to employment in advisory, team leader, supervisory, business development or management roles in a variety of areas including:
- tourism, hotel and event venue facilities management
- tourism ventures and operations
- event and conference planning and management
- travel agencies and tourism information centres
- destination management, and business and trade development
- retail buying, merchandising and management
- brand and value proposition management
- owner/operator ventures
- other hospitality, tourism, service sector, trade and enterprise fields
Topics you'll cover
- SMKT7002 Entrepreneurship for the Service Sector
- SMKT7004 Branding and Marketing Strategies for the Tourism Sector
- SMKT7006 Product Innovation and Development for the Tourism Sector
Plus, choose one of the following electives:
- BMGT7012 Internship
- BMGT7013 Industry Project
|Indicative Fees *||$6,918 for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
$300 for field trips
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- have completed an undergraduate degree in any discipline; or
- have completed a minimum of a two‐year diploma equivalent to NZQA Level 7 or higher in a related discipline; or
- be able to demonstrate at least three years’ equivalent relevant practical and/or professional experience (a curriculum vitae must be submitted detailing relevant work experience and professional achievements).
All students (domestic and international) must:
Have completed an undergraduate degree in any discipline; OR
Have completed a minimum of a two year diploma equivalent to NZQA Level 7 or higher in a related discipline; OR
Be able to demonstrate at least three years equivalent relevant practical and/or professional experience (a curriculum vitae must be submitted detailing relevant work experience and professional achievements).
English language requirements
IELTS Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||20 Feb 2023|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||17 Jul 2023|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available