Take your study of English language to an advanced level.
This course is for learners who wish to pursue academic study in an English language medium that requires higher levels of English language competency.
You'll learn the language skills required to communicate independently and effectively in a wide range of familiar and unfamiliar academic situations with fluency and flexibility. Level 5 graduates usually meet the English requirements to enrol in our postgraduate courses at levels 8 and 9.
This course is at a level comparable to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) high B2.
We offer beginner to advanced English courses. We'll assess your English when you enrol to decide the best level for you to study at.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Professional) (Level 5), OR
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 5)
|Next intake||Feb 2022 View more details|
1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$800 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Positions that require:
- complex interpersonal communication,
- understanding of complex context specific professional and/or technical texts,
- writing complex, context specific communications, and
- full participation, interaction and initiative in a team.
This course is designed to equip you with the English language proficiency to enable you to seek professional registration with regulatory standard bodies.
Topics you'll cover
You must complete THREE of the following topics:
- Communicating Independently in English
- Engaging in Extensive Discourse in English
- Communicating in a Wide Range of Professional or Academic Situations
- Managing Complex Language Situations in English
- Plain English for Professional and Academic Contexts
- Global English for Professional and Academic Contexts
Plus a further 15 credits from any topics at Level 5 or above (with the approval of the English Language Programme Manager)
|Indicative Fees *||$800 for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Stationery - $30
Take advantage of our early bird fees for your 2022 study. Enrol by 3 December 2021 and you’ll pay the 2021 tuition fees. Conditions apply.*
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
For Levels 5, 6 and 7 certificate or diploma, domestic students under 20 and all international students must have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2 and a minimum of 42 credits at level 3; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic requirements for the programme.
English language requirements
Your English will be assessed on entry.
Guideline for entry:
- Level 5 entry: CEFR mid B2 or IELTS 6.0
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||18 Jul 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||18 Jul 2022|
- 1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- courses at Level 7 and above