Do you love helping people and want better job security?
Health care is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world and this qualification will give you the skills and confidence to step into it. This course equips you with the core skills you need to provide quality care.
It’s an ideal course for people wanting to enter the health care sector, or for health care workers already working in the industry who want to upskill.
Over 18 weeks you’ll cover topics including; the human body, leadership and communication in health, professional practice, community wellness and the New Zealand health system. This is combined with 200 hours of first-hand experience in a health care setting as an employee or volunteer.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Advanced Support) (Level 4)
You will also have completed a Comprehensive First Aid Certificate.
|Locations||Rotorua, Taupō, Tauranga|
|Next intake||Feb 2022 View more details|
18 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Study face-to-face on campus at set times plus online learning
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Working in hospices, specialised dementia units, aged residential care or home and community support settings, as a:
- health care assistant
- senior caregiver
- senior health care assistant
- senior support worker
Topics you'll cover
- BIOL4005: The Human Body
- HUMW4013: Case Management
- HUMW4015: Professional Practice
- HUMW4016: Leadership and Communication in Health
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
This course qualifies for free tuition fees under TTAF. (Course materials and equipment not included). There's no need to do anything extra - simply apply for the course and we'll take it from there.
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
You must have:
- completed the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 3) in Health Assistance or Support Work strand;OR
- an equivalent qualification or experience in the health and wellbeing sectors.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||18 Jul 2022|
|Taupō||Taupō Campus||18 Jul 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||18 Jul 2022|
- 18 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Study face-to-face on campus at set times plus online learning
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Public Health and Health Promotion (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Addiction Studies (Applied) (Level 5)
- Bachelor of Applied Science and Sustainability (Human Wellbeing)