Want a hands-on career where you can improve the health and wellness of others? A massage therapy course is your ticket to countless opportunities.
You'll be taught by experienced tutors who are passionate about the industry. They'll teach you anatomy and physiology, general therapeutic skills and sports massage. You may also get the chance to make industry connections and work, supervised, in public clinics.
This qualification also covers common, self-employment business skills. Whether you want to run your own massage business or gain employment, you'll have what you need to plan a bright future.
Choose to study in class full-time, or online with part-time classroom study. For our massage course in Tauranga, you can study full-time four days per week in face-to-face classes. In Rotorua, you'll attend two days of face-to-face learning per week, with the remaining study completed online.
Graduates of this qualification can go on to study the Diploma in Remedial Massage (Level 6) in partnership with Wintec.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Diploma in Wellness and Relaxation Massage (Level 5)
|Next intake||Feb 2022 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$6,357 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- home-based massage therapist
- community based massage therapist
- employment within health care facilities or spa-based massage therapy clinics
- employment within sport and fitness facilities (non-injury work) or with sport teams or individual athletes.
You may choose to become self-employed with your own massage therapy business, or you may find employment in the sports industry, working in spas and hotels, on cruise ships, or alongside other medical professionals like physiotherapists.
Topics you'll cover
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Human Body
- The Fundamentals of Therapeutic Massage
- The Professional Practitioner
- Massage Therapy: Theory to Practice
- Human Movement and Exercise Fundamentals
- The Fundamentals of Sport Massage
|Indicative Fees *||$6,357 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
For Levels 5, 6 and 7 certificate or diploma, domestic students under 20 and all international students must have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2 and a minimum of 42 credits at level 3; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic requirements for the programme.
You will need to sign a consent form, which will allow Toi Ohomai to complete a police check before you start the course, during the course, and before you finish the course. Any applicant with a conviction must attend an interview with the relevant department staff and may be declined entry onto the course.
You will only be accepted onto the course once a satisfactory police check has been completed.
English language requirements
Level 5 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||7 Mar 2022|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Diploma in Remedial Massage (Level 6) (under development and/or pending approval)