Gain skills to work in the world of outdoor and adventure tourism and set yourself up for an exciting future.
In this practical course you'll have heaps of fun getting to grips with the basics of wilderness activities like rafting, kayaking and mountain biking.
At the same time, you'll learn how to give visitors first-rate outdoor experiences. You'll learn to assess health and safety risks and find out how to apply first aid and deal with emergency situations in the outdoors.
Our tutors are industry experts who have worked in adventure businesses and competed in outdoor and adventure sports in Aotearoa New Zealand and around the world.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Outdoor and Adventure Education (Multi-skilled) (Level 4)
|Next intake||Feb 2020 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$5,952 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Instructor or guide within community and private outdoor or adventure education/recreation/tourism providers, schools, leadership development programmes or self-employment.
Topics you'll cover
- Personal Performance and Wellbeing
- Water Activity 1
- Land Activity 1
- Lead Outdoor Activities
- Land Activity 2
- Water Activity 2
- Kaitiakitanga and Sustainability
- Safety Management and Emergency Care
|Indicative Fees *||$5,952 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
Enrol for 2020 by 31 December and pay 2019 course rates! Conditions apply *
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- All applicants must have NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2 and,
- Declaration of any criminal conviction and,
- Character References and,
- Police vetting consent form.
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
For courses at Level 4, domestic students will normally be required to have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2.
Evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||17 Feb 2020|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)