Are you a working professional who wants to gain higher level qualifications in your field of expertise?
At Toi Ohomai you can advance your study of professional leadership with our unique suite of applied postgraduate courses that link directly to your current practice.
The Master of Applied Professional Studies – Mentoring and Leadership supports you to broaden your knowledge and experience through reflective practice, critical evaluation, in-depth analysis of issues and applied research.
You'll apply theory to examples of work-based situations. Your assessments and projects directly support your professional employment so you can seamlessly put your new skills and knowledge into practice on the job.
You'll explore and critically evaluate the concepts, theories and models of mentoring and leadership and formulate your own frameworks for professional practice.
During your Masters study you also develop the advanced research skills required to carry out an independent research project.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- Master of Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership)
Additional awards included:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership)
|Next intake||Feb 2022 View more details|
1.5 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
If you have already completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership), you can finish this course in 16 weeks (full time).
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$7,483 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Advancement or employment related to your current field of practice, in roles such as:
- formal and informal leadership roles within a workplace or industry team
- associate teacher supporting students on placement (if meets registration requirements)
- educational leadership roles
- mentoring and leadership within health and social services
- mentoring and supervision of staff
Topics you'll cover
- Critical Reflective Practice
- Professional Leadership
- The New Zealand Legislative Environment for Professional Leaders
- Building Professional Relationships for Mentoring
- Mentoring and Supervision
- Nga Tikanga Rangahau: Research Protocols
- Research Project OR Dissertation
|Indicative Fees *||$7,483 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
You must hold:
- a bachelor's degree or bachelor's degree with honours in a cognate subject with a B average or above, OR
- a postgraduate certificate or postgraduate diploma in a cognate subject with a B average or above
In exceptional circumstances, based on academic merit and relevant experience, applicants who do not meet the entry requirements may be considered for admission subject to the completion of any qualifying papers the Postgraduate Board of Studies may prescribe. These papers must be completed either prior to starting the master's degree or concurrently.
You must have access to a relevant workplace. If you are not currently employed it is expected that you'll have at least two years relevant experience to draw on.
Limitations may apply to the number of students admitted and enrolled on the course. The Faculty Leader shall approve every applicant selected.
English language requirements
IELTS Academic score of 6.5 with no band score lower than 6 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 5 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||18 Jul 2022|
- 1.5 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- If you have already completed the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership), you can finish this course in 16 weeks (full time).
- Part-time study available