Fees and Financial Help
We've put together some information and tips to help you manage your finances while you're studying.
If you're looking for information about specific fees at Toi Ohomai including how to pay, please visit the Fees Information page.
Jobs for Students: Earning While you Study
Student Job Search is an employment agency just for students and it’s a FREE service for all students of Toi Ohomai.
From one-off jobs around the home through to full-time graduate positions, Student Job Search is your one-stop-shop for earning as you learn and gaining valuable on-the-job experience.
Student Job Search is a not-for-profit, owned by tertiary student associations throughout the country. It’s co-funded by the government and the student associations themselves.
Find out all about it on the Fees at Toi Ohomai page
Scholarships and Grants
Scholarships and grants are a way of helping you meet fees, course-related costs and living expenses, and they're for all sorts of people, not just the ‘straight A’ students.
If you want to apply for a scholarship, get in early to increase your chances of being successful. To help you, we’ve pulled together some handy scholarship application tips!
View the full list of scholarships administered by Toi Ohomai
Student Loans and Allowances
All of our full-time courses qualify for student loans and allowances through StudyLink and several of our part-time courses qualify for student loans. Note though that courses defined as part-time on this website won't necessarily match Studylink's definition and this can impact your eligibility, so please check with them directly.
Financial help is available for selected courses through StudyLink, the agency that administers student loans and allowances, student hardship support and bursaries.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment to help with your living expenses while you study. It’s money that you don’t have to pay back.
- A student loan can help finance your study and is made up of three parts (course fees, course-related costs, and living costs). You choose which part(s) you need. This is money that you have to pay back, so choose wisely.
Applying early for funding will help you receive payments promptly so apply as soon as you can.
How to apply for a StudyLink Student Loan or Allowance
Apply online at the StudyLink website but before you start, make sure you have:
- your bank account number
- your IRD number
- current email address
- your course start and end dates (approximate dates may also be accepted)
StudyLink will start processing your application and you’ll receive a letter from them which you’ll need to sign and return, or confirm online. You might need to send other documents. You'll be able to track your application online.
StudyLink will check your details with us to make sure you’re enrolled, then you’ll receive a letter saying what you qualify for and when payments will start.
Need More Help Applying?
- Rotorua Mokoia Campus - call in to the StudyLink Helpdesk in the Information Centre where we have dedicated computers and staff on hand to help you
- Tauranga Windermere Campus - head to the Information Centre
- Taupō, Tokoroa or Whakatāne campuses - please contact your campus administrator
- You can also contact our Engagement Facilitators who are available on both our Mokoia and Windermere campuses
- Contact StudyLink directly on 0800 88 99 00 or online at www.studylink.govt.nz
Youth Guarantee Programme
The Youth Guarantee programme offers 'free fees' training for 16-24 year olds, across a range of courses. It's a great opportunity to figure out the way forward in an understanding, supportive environment, especially if education has been challenging so far.
Pop in to any of our Information Centres and our friendly staff will answer your questions and point you in the right direction for financial services and extra support.
Information Centre, Mokoia Campus
I Block, Mokoia Campus
Private Bag 3028, Rotorua 3046, New Zealand
Information Centre, Windermere Campus
B Block, Windermere Campus
Private Bag 12001, Tauranga 3143, New Zealand