Imagine the joy of working outside on a farm! If farming’s your thing, this course will get you started.
You gain the introductory skills and knowledge right here to prepare you for your first job. You could put your skills to work in sheep, beef or dairy farming, or in any other agricultural sector.
Get ready for plenty of hands-on learning! Drive a quad bike and tractor, build a fence and drench stock. Animal anatomy, plant biology and soil science are also covered.
As part of the course, you're in the real world two days a week, gaining hands-on experience with industry experts.
Get started in your career today and become part of New Zealand’s booming agricultural industry.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (Level 3)
|Next intake||Apr 2023 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
You'll be enrolled into this course and the New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (Level 3).
|Indicative Fees||3,607 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- farm assistant
- general farm hand
- junior shepherd
- milk harvester
- relief milker
Topics you'll cover
- Soils and Pasture Production
- Livestock Health, Anatomy and Nutrition
- Technology and Sustainability in Primary Industries
- Livestock Handling and Welfare
- Farm Maintenance
- Health and Safety for Farming
|Indicative Fees *||3,607 for domestic students|
Fees for New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3) is $3,607
Fees for New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (Level 3) is $2,774
Total fee amount is $6,381
This course is eligible for Youth Guarantee funding.
* Important fee information, and hints and tips
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
You’ll be invited to an information meeting. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
Standard Entry Criteria
Admission, entry, selection, and enrolment into programmes will be in accordance with the Academic Regulations and/or, where approved, specific programme regulations.
For courses at levels 1-3, domestic and international students will be required to:
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
Due to health and safety factors, there may be limits on the numbers of students that can be accepted on the course.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||20 Mar 2023|
|Rotorua||Waipā Campus||24 Apr 2023|
|Rotorua||Waipā Campus||17 Jul 2023|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- You'll be enrolled into this course and the New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (Level 3).