Have a passion for working with animals?
This entry level qualification provides you with the knowledge and skills you need to maintain the husbandry and welfare of companion animals in both domestic and commercial environments.
You'll learn to care for companion animals and have the added benefit of practicing your handling skills through our onsite animal facility, which houses a wide range of species.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care (Companion Animals) (Level 3)
|Feb 2024 View more details
1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|$4,088 for domestic students View full fees information
|View entry criteria
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Graduates of this qualification are likely to be employed in a range of businesses associated with the care of animals.
This may include working as assistants in pet stores, animal rescue or welfare centres, pet groomers, boarding and training facilities, aquariums, wildlife parks, or with breeders.
Topics you'll cover
- Introduction to Professional Skills when working with companion animals
- Behaviour, handling and transportation of companion animals
- Introduction to form, function and preventative health for companion animals
- Introduction to Husbandry for companion animals
- Companion Animals Practicum
|Indicative Fees *
|$4,088 for domestic students
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
NCEA Level 1
If you are aged 20 years or above, and do not meet the academic requirements, you may be given special admission if Toi Ohomai staff are satisfied you are capable of successfully completing the requirements.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|26 Feb 2024
|22 Jul 2024
- 1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)