Can I apply for a student visa to study the Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice?

No. As the Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice is delivered completely online, you cannot obtain a student visa to study this course.

Can a space be saved for me on the course or can I be offered a conditional place?

This course is heavily subscribed so we cannot save spaces. You must meet ALL entry requirements to receive the offer of place.

Can I enrol and pay my fees in instalments?

We can't enrol you until we receive full payment of tuition fees in line with your offer of place.

Do I have to complete the papers in order?

All eight papers are designed to be completed in sequential order.

The first four papers are pre-requisites for the second four papers i.e. you cannot begin study in any of the final four papers unless you successfully complete the first four.

If you are a new part time student, you would enrol in LAWS6015 and LAWS7012 in your first semester. If you are a new full time student, you would enrol in LAWS6015, LAWS7012, LAWS7022 and LAWS7014.

Do I have to provide hard copies of my application documents?

No, you do not have to post us hard copies of your documents. You can upload your application documents to your online application. All application documents for the Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice must be certified copies and scanned in colour.

Do I need a student visa if I am an international student working in New Zealand?

Applicants will not meet current requirements for a student visa which requires the student to attend the institute for study. If you already hold a work visa, you can apply for a Variation of Conditions (VOC) to study part-time. Please visit the Immigration New Zealand website for more information.

We require you to provide a certified copy of your valid visa and Variation of Conditions which needs to be valid for the duration of your enrolment in order to enrol you.

Do you offer any job placement support or help to find a supervisor?

These services are not offered at Toi Ohomai. Please refer to the Immigration Advisers Authority.

How do I receive an offer of place?

You must provide evidence that you meet the full entry criteria when completing your online application. This includes meeting both the academic and English language entry requirements and providing certified copies of all supporting documents.

How long does it take to complete each paper?

It takes 13 weeks to complete the coursework for each paper, then you have a study week and exam week making a total of 15 weeks each semester.

How many papers can I study each semester?

You can choose to enrol part time in one or two papers. Alternatively, you can choose to enrol full time and study three or four papers.

I don’t have a degree, but my diploma is of very high standing – can I still apply?

The academic entry requirements require you to hold a Bachelor’s degree recognised by Immigration New Zealand’s List of Qualifications Exempt from assessment or have equivalent educational experience.

If you believe your diploma is of very high standing you can have your qualification assessed by the New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA) and forward us that assessment.

You can also apply for special admission by providing a letter requesting Special Admission accompanied by your C.V. and the Toi Ohomai statutory declaration form.

I don’t quite meet the IELTS requirement. Can I get a Conditional Offer?

No. This qualification is exceptionally popular. Conditional offers are not provided. Students are issued offers of place on a ‘first come, first served’ basis after meeting ALL of the entry criteria.

I have been living in an English-speaking country for many years. Do I really need to sit an English language test?

The English language entry requirements for the Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice are very strict and we cannot make any exceptions to the requirements. If you do not meet one of the specified requirements around education in English in New Zealand, Australia, the UK, USA, Canada or Ireland, then you MUST provide an acceptable English language test. 

What is a provisional licence and when can I apply for one?

A provisional licence allows a person to provide immigration advice on all immigration matters while working under the direct supervision of a licensed immigration adviser with a full licence.

New applicants applying for a provisional licence must have passed papers 1-4 of the Toi Ohomai Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice. The applicant must have a supervisor who holds a full licence to directly supervise them while they hold a provisional licence.

Where will I sit the exams?

All Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice exams are held online. Students in New Zealand and overseas will sit their exams online.