Do you want to become a leader, manager or entrepreneur within the hospitality and tourism industry?
This innovative three-year degree is designed to do all of the above. From school leavers to seasoned employees, this flexible and hands-on degree has something for everyone.
In the first two years, you’ll learn all the operational, managerial and business skills required for a trainee manager or junior manager position in any business within the industry.
Once you get to the final year, you’ll develop valuable entrepreneurial skills that will open doors to a wide range of career opportunities, from creating your own product or service, to working for various national and regional tourism organisations.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- Bachelor of Applied Hospitality and Tourism Management (Level 7)
|Next intake||Nov 2022 View more details|
3 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$5,868 per year for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Graduates can pursue career opportunities in a wide range of organisations and roles in the hospitality and tourism industry, and related sectors. Graduates may become self-employed or progress to employment in advisory, team leader, supervisory or management roles in a variety of areas, including:
- hotel/accommodation management, including sales and marketing, concierge and front desk operations
- food and beverage, restaurants and catering
- tourism, hotel and event venue facilities management
- tourism ventures and operations
- event and conference planning and management
- travel agencies and tourism information centres
- reservations and ticketing
- destination management, and business and trade development
- brand and value proposition management
- owner/operator ventures
- other service sector, trade and enterprise fields
Topics you'll cover
- Professionalism and Core Skills for Tourism and Hospitality
- Introduction to the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- Supervisory Skills for Tourism and Hospitality
- Showcasing Tourism, Travel, Hospitality and Gastronomy
- Managing the Customer Experience
- Planning and Marketing for Tourism and Hospitality Enterprise
- Hotel Operations
- Tourism Operating Environments
- Food and Beverage Operations
- The Destination Experience
- Cultural Dimensions of Tourism and Hospitality
- Tourism and Hospitality Staff Development and Retention
- Planning for Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Enterprise
- Product Development for the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- Introduction to Tourism and Hospitality Enterprise and Investment
- Event Management for Tourism and Hospitality
- Innovation in Food and Beverage
- Impacts of Tourism and Travel
- Hotel Management
- Destination Management
- Entrepreneurship for the Service Sector
- Branding and Marketing Strategies for the Hospitality Sector
- Branding and Marketing Strategies for the Tourism Sector
- Product Innovation and Development for the Hospitality Sector
- Product Innovation and Development for the Tourism Sector
- Industry Project
|Indicative Fees *||$5,868 per year for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
$300 for field trips.
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- meet the University Entrance criteria as specified by NZQA or have education achievement at least equivalent to NZQA University Entrance (where an applicant did not attend schooling in New Zealand, the relevant equivalent to University Entrance will be considered on a case‐by‐case basis); or
- have a New Zealand Certificate at Level 4 or an equivalent qualification (in a relevant field is recommended).
Domestic students under 20 and all international students must:
Meet the University Entrance criteria as specified by NZQA or have education achievement at least equivalent to NZQA University Entrance. Where an applicant did not attend schooling in New Zealand, the relevant equivalent to University Entrance will be considered on a case-by-case basis; AND
Meet all programme entry requirements; OR
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic and other requirements (special admission requirements).
Domestic students over 20
Students who do not hold a University Entrance qualification or equivalent may be eligible for admission to a Bachelor's degree programme subject to any entry and selection requirements specified in the respective programme regulations and have evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
English language requirements
IELTS Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||21 Nov 2022|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||20 Feb 2023|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||17 Jul 2023|
- 3 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available