Step into the amazing world of Engineering Fabrication with our flexible, four-year apprentice course. Learn everything from engineering materials, sketching and drawing to welding and fabrication processes, all while getting valuable on-the-job experience.
As a studying apprentice, you'll get the best of both worlds with equal work and study opportunities. Our tutors and your employer will work together and manage your apprenticeship right to your graduation, giving you everything you need to succeed.
Classes are flexible and tailored to suit your study needs. With night classes, day release, block courses and online learning all available, it's never been easier to balance your study and work commitments.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Engineering Fabrication (Trade) (Level 4), in either Heavy Fabrication strand or Light Fabrication strand
|Next intake||Aug 2022 View more details|
4 years part-time
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) until 31 Dec 22 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Graduates of this course will be able to work independently as Engineering Fabrication tradespeople in their chosen discipline, in a broad range of sectors within the fabrication or construction industries. Specific roles for each of the strands may include:
Heavy Fabrication strand:
- Process Plant Fabricator
- Fabricator for pressure equipment, heavy transport equipment, or machinery
Light Fabrication strand:
- Sheet Metal Worker
- Process Plant Fabricator
Topics you'll cover
- Engineering Health & Safety
- Hand and Power tools
- Engineering materials
- Sketching and drawing
- Trade calculations
- Welding processes (MMAW, GMAW, GTAW)
- Fabrication processes
- Jigs and fixtures
- Cutting and Gouging
- Pattern development
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) until 31 Dec 22 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
This course qualifies for free tuition fees under TTAF. (Course materials and equipment not included). There's no need to do anything extra - simply apply for the course and we'll take it from there.
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
You must have:
- 40 credits NCEA Level 1, including 10 literacy credits and 10 numeracy credits (or equivalent) AND,
- be working in the engineering industry
- be supervised by someone who is prepared to support the training
- Apprenticeship Agreement - Enrolment into this course will also require the apprentice, employer, and provider to enter into a training agreement. The agreement will outline the responsibilities of each party to the apprenticeship, and will align with the principles in the Code of Good Practice for New Zealand Apprenticeships
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||15 Aug 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||14 Nov 2022|
- 4 years part-time
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (Advanced) (Level 5)