If you're interested in a farming career, this is the place to start. Learn hands-on skills in this practical course.
Toi Ohomai has been training graduates for over 15 years and partners with Primary ITO, Dairy NZ and local farmers in the region with proven results.
You'll experience first-hand the satisfaction of a productive day with regular work placements on farm. You'll learn to find and repair fencing faults, maintain chainsaws that require love, gain an understanding of correct animal welfare standards and how to convert grass into meat, milk and fibre. After all, our farmers are world leaders.
These skills are an integral part of all rural or primary sector businesses. Become well-equipped with the skills you need for the job of your choice.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3)
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
You'll be enrolled into this course and the New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3).
|Indicative Fees||$2,774 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- farm worker
- general hand roles in the primary industry sector
Topics you'll cover
- Management of Workplace Risks and Personal Wellbeing
- Mechanised Equipment – Vehicles
- Mechanised Equipment – Machinery
- Livestock Health & Anatomy
- Livestock handling
- Technology & Sustainability in Primary Industries
|Indicative Fees *||$2,774 for domestic students|
Fees for New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (Level 3) is $2,774
Fees for New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3) is $3,607
Total fee amount is $6,381
This course is eligible for Youth Guarantee funding.
* Important fee information, and hints and tips
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
Standard Entry Criteria
Admission, entry, selection, and enrolment into programmes will be in accordance with the Academic Regulations and/or, where approved, specific programme regulations.
For courses at levels 1-3, domestic and international students will be required to:
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
Due to health and safety factors, there may be limits on the numbers of students that can be accepted on the course.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- You'll be enrolled into this course and the New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture (Farming Systems) (Level 3).
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture (Level 4), strand in Post Harvest (under development and/or pending approval)
- New Zealand Diploma in Horticulture Production (Level 5) (under development and/or pending approval)