Do you want to lead the team on a building site? Construction management involves the supervision and management of construction sites to achieve the successful completion of a contract on time, on budget, and to a high standard. If you’re good with people and a clear decision-maker, this course could be right for you.
Our tutors are industry experts; small class sizes ensure you’ll get all the support you need to succeed.
You will have the opportunity to visit different construction sites and following the construction of a house project making a log book of the work that's going on. This gives you just the right balance of applied theory and problem-solving skills to grab the construction management jobs that are popping up all over the country.
If you’re detail-oriented with great communication skills and enjoy taking charge, this is the place for you. It’s more than a course – it’s your chance to make things happen!
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Diploma in Construction (Construction Management) (Level 6)
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
2.5 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Up to 5 years part time. This course is a flexi-learn delivery.
Part-time study available
Offered online or partly online
|Indicative Fees||$6,504 per year for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- construction management technician
- construction manager
- project manager
- specialist field
- construction supervisor
- site manager
Topics you'll cover
- Industry Roles and Legislation
- Tender Processes
- Building Materials
- Construction Communication
- Small Building Construction
- Building Feasibility
- Building Services
- Site Planning
- Environmental Impact
- Commercial Construction
- Building Methodology
- Construction Programming
- Tender Evaluation
- Construction Planning
- Site Management
- Financial Administration
|Indicative Fees||$6,504 per year for domestic students|
Flexi-learn option - $813 per topic
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
There are no minimum academic requirements (open entry). However it is recommended you:
- have a minimum of 48 NCEA credits at Level 2 including English or Maths, OR
- are able to demonstrate equivalent skills and knowledge.
In addition to the above you must already be working in the construction industry, and have a reasonable level of experience and the support of your employer.
English language requirements
IELTS Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 2.5 years full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Up to 5 years part time. This course is a flexi-learn delivery.
- Part-time study available
- Offered online or partly online
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- Bachelor of Production Technology (under development and/or pending approval)
- Bachelor of Applied Technology (Unitec)
- Bachelor of Construction (Massey University)
- Bachelor degrees in business or technology