Do you need to improve your English language skills?
This course is for learners who wish to increase their English language proficiency for general communication.
You'll learn the language skills required to communicate independently and effectively in familiar and less-familiar situations with fluency and flexibility. This could be in community or societal settings.
We offer beginner to advanced English courses. We'll assess your English when you enrol to decide the best level for you to study at.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (General) (Level 4)
|Next intake||Feb 2022 View more details|
1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$800 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
This course is intended for students of English as an additional language, who wish to improve their English, or who are attending NZQA-approved courses in Aotearoa New Zealand, rather than a direct pathway to employment.
Graduates of this course will have the English language skills to work in employment that involves:
- interpersonal communication,
- understanding of context-specific texts of a more general nature,
- writing transactional exchanges, records, reports and letters, and
- interaction in a team.
Topics you'll cover
The course will focus on:
- critical thinking
- problem solving
Topics in this course:
- Communication 4 (General)
- Connection 4 (General)
- Community 4 (General)
- Concepts 4 (General)
This course is at a level comparable to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) mid B2.
|Indicative Fees *||$800 for domestic students|
Take advantage of our early bird fees for your 2022 study. Enrol by 3 December 2021 and you’ll pay the 2021 tuition fees. Conditions apply.*
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) (Level 3), OR
- English Language Proficiency placement test
English language requirements
Your English will be assessed on entry.
Guideline for entry:
- General (Level 4) entry: CEFR low B2 or IELTS 5.5
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||21 Feb 2022|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||25 Jul 2022|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||25 Jul 2022|
- 1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)