Extend your English language skills and get ready to study the course of your choice.
This course is for learners who wish to pursue further academic study in an English language medium.
You'll learn the language skills required to communicate independently and effectively in familiar and less-familiar academic situations with fluency and flexibility. Level 4 (Academic) graduates usually meet the English requirements to enrol in our diploma and degree courses at levels 6 and 7.
This course is at a level comparable to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) mid B2.
We offer intermediate to upper intermediate English courses. We'll assess your English when you enrol to decide the best level for you to study at.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4)
|Next intake||Feb 2023 View more details|
1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$800 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
This course is intended for students of English as an additional language, who wish to enrol in an NZQA-approved course in Aotearoa New Zealand, rather than a direct pathway to employment.
Graduates of this course will have the English language skills to work in employment that involves:
- interpersonal communication,
- understanding of context-specific texts of a more academic nature,
- writing records and reports, and
- interaction in a team.
Topics you'll cover
The course will focus on:
- critical thinking
- problem solving
|Indicative Fees *||$800 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) (Level 3), OR
- Meet the English language entry requirements below:
You must have achieved IELTS 5.5 (no band less than 5.5) or equivalent.
If the English language entry requirements above are not met, an entry interview with NZCEL tutors will need to be booked, which will include the following:
- A short spoken interview
- A short writing task
- A computer-based reading and listening test
English language requirements
Your English will be assessed on entry.
Guideline for entry:
- Academic (Level 4) entry: CEFR low B2 or IELTS 5.5
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||20 Feb 2023|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||20 Feb 2023|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||24 Jul 2023|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||24 Jul 2023|
- 1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- diploma and degree courses at Level 6 and 7