Are you a working professional who wants to gain higher qualifications in your field of expertise? At Toi Ohomai you can advance your study of professional leadership with our unique suite of applied postgraduate courses.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies - Mentoring and Leadership will suit you if you're wanting to advance your scholarly research and hone your leadership skills.
You'll apply theoretical study to examples of work-based situations. Your assessments and projects directly support your professional employment so you can seamlessly put your new skills and knowledge into practice on the job.
During the course you'll explore and evaluate your own personal practice while learning to critique, analyse and find effective solutions to issues and challenges within your specialist field.
You'll learn to critically evaluate the concepts and theories of mentoring and/or professional supervision, and develop a framework for use in your work.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies leads onto Masters study – within 18 months you could complete both qualifications. Or, complete your Postgraduate Diploma and put your new skills to work. You can return at any time to take your learning to the next level.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership)
Additional awards included:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership)
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
If you have already completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership), you can finish this course in 19 weeks (full time).
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$7,483 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Advancement or employment related to your current field of practice, in roles such as:
- formal and informal leadership roles within a workplace or industry team
- associate teacher supporting students on placement (if meets registration requirements)
- educational leadership roles
- mentoring and leadership within health and social services
- mentoring and supervision of staff
Topics you'll cover
- Critical Reflective Practice
- Professional Leadership
- The New Zealand Legislative Environment for Professional Leaders
- Building Professional Relationships for Mentoring
- Mentoring and Supervision
- Nga Tikanga Rangahau: Research Protocols
|Indicative Fees *||$7,483 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- hold a bachelor's degree or a graduate certificate or graduate diploma in a cognate subject, OR
- hold the Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership), OR
- have completed a post-secondary school diploma in a related discipline at NZQA Level 7 or equivalent with a recognised tertiary provider, AND
- be able to demonstrate of at least two years relevant practical experience with at least two written references (employer and character).
You must have access to a relevant workplace. If you are not currently employed it is expected that you'll have at least two years relevant experience to draw on.
Limitations may apply to the number of students admitted and enrolled on the course. The Faculty Leader shall approve every applicant selected for the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Professional Studies.
English language requirements
IELTS Academic score of 6.5 with no band score lower than 6 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 5 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- If you have already completed the Postgraduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies (Mentoring and Leadership), you can finish this course in 19 weeks (full time).
- Part-time study available