Do you need to improve your English language skills?
This course is for learners who wish to apply their English language proficiency to a specific context. This course is free for New Zealand citizens and permanent residents.
You'll learn the general language skills required to participate with increasing independence and fluency. This could be in academic, community or workplace settings. Level 3 (Applied) graduates usually meet the English requirements to enrol in our certificate and diploma courses at levels 4 and 5.
This course is at a level comparable to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) low B2.
We offer beginner to advanced English courses. We'll assess your English when you enrol to decide the best level for you to study at.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied ) (Level 3)
|Next intake||Jul 2019 View more details|
19 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
This course is intended for students of English as an additional language, who wish to improve their English, or who are attending NZQA-approved courses in Aotearoa New Zealand, rather than a direct pathway to employment.
Graduates of this course will have the English language skills to work in positions that require:
- face-to-face interpersonal communication,
- response to basic, context-specific texts, and
- production of simple, context-specific record-keeping.
Topics you'll cover
The course will focus on:
- critical thinking
- problem solving
Topics in this course:
- Communication 3 (Applied)
- Connection 3 (Applied)
- Community 3 (Applied)
- Concepts 3 (Applied)
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- New Zealand Certificate in English Language (General) (Level 3), OR
- English Language Proficiency placement test
English language requirements
Your English will be assessed on entry.
Guideline for entry:
- Applied (Level 3) entry: CEFR high B1 or IELTS 5.0
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||22 Jul 2019|
- 19 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- certificate and diploma courses at Level 4 and 5