Are you looking for a career with huge potential, in a stimulating and dynamic field?
New Zealand is going through a tourism boom, and today, tourism directly and indirectly employs one in eight working New Zealanders.
Tourism and travel operators are calling out for the right people, with the right skills, to assist clients and visitors achieve a unique holiday experience, and to support the regional development that is required.
This one-year qualification allows you to experience and learn about the national and international tourism industry, and the delivery of a quality visitor experience. You'll build skills in tourism and travel management work practices while learning about the wider tourism and hospitality sector and its fit within the business environment.
Industry visits, field trips and loads of opportunities for hands-on learning make up this practical course.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Diploma in Tourism and Travel (Level 5)
|Next intake||Jul 2019 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$5,598 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Graduates of this course can apply for roles with employers including:
- trainee and junior management or supervisor positions in a range of travel and tourism sectors:
- travel providers
- activity and attraction operators
Topics you'll cover
Compulsory topics in this course:
- Professionalism and Core Skills for Tourism and Hospitality
- Introduction to the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- Supervisory Skills for Tourism and Hospitality
- Showcasing Tourism, Travel, Hospitality and Gastronomy
- Managing the Customer Experience
- Planning and Marketing for Tourism and Hospitality Enterprise
You will also study TWO of the four topics below:
- Tourism Operating Environments
- The Destination Experience
- Tourism Event Planning Fundamentals
- Travel Industry Knowledge
|Indicative Fees||$5,598 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
$200 for field trips
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are two ways you can take advantage of free fees. One is through Toi Ohomai’s range of free courses. These are separate to the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative so you don’t need to check your eligibility in relation to fees – simply apply in the normal way and we’ll take it from there.
The other is through the government’s ‘fees free’ initiative: If you’re starting tertiary study for the first time you might be eligible for a year’s worth of free fees. Find out more in our FAQ about the government’s fees free initiative.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- NCEA Level 2 plus 42 credits at Level 3 or equivalent, OR
- a Level 3 or Level 4 related qualification or equivalent, OR
- evidence of ability to meet the academic requirements.
English language requirements
IELTS academic score of 6.0 with no band score lower than 5.5
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||Monday, 22 July 2019|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||Monday, 22 July 2019|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available