It's an exciting time for New Zealand's forestry industry, and employers are in need of more skilled workers.
With farm forests maturing and more trees being planted to lift production, job opportunities keep on growing.
The New Zealand Certificate in Forest Industry Foundation Skills (Level 2) also known as the Generation Programme is a perfect start.
With the Central North Island Wood Council (CNIWC) support, industry backing and our talented tutors, we'll help grow your skills to secure entry-level roles in a commercial forestry operation or commercial harvesting operation.
The course also covers fitness, health and nutrition to get you physically prepared for the work while learning the necessary skills for the job.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Forest Industry Foundation Skills (Level 2)
|Locations||Rotorua, Tokoroa, Wider BOP/Other|
|Next intake||Mar 2024 View more details|
15 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Entry-level roles in a forestry or harvesting operation. They could be employed as planters, pruners, breaker-outs or landing processors.
Topics you'll cover
- Environmental and cultural requirements
- Working In Forestry Operations
- Safe Forest Operations
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees for domestic students|
*Please note, fees for our 2024 intakes are yet to be confirmed. Once they are, we will update our website to reflect the new 2024 fee amount.
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- Be 16 years old at the time the programme commences;
- Be able to read, write, and communicate in English at a basic level;
- Be physically able to complete the programme specific outcomes.
For courses at levels 1-3, domestic and international students will be required to:
Provide evidence of ability to complete academic requirements.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQA Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
Note: The Blenheim intake does not run in partnership with the generation programme.
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||11 Mar 2024|
|Tokoroa||Tokoroa Campus||5 Aug 2024|
|Wider BOP/Other||Blenheim Site(s)||9 Sep 2024|
- 15 weeks full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Further Study Options
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Forestry Operations (Level 3) with strands in Basic Machine, Mensuration, Planting, Pruning and Thin to Waste
- New Zealand Certificate in Forest Harvesting Operations (Level 3) with strands in Basic Machine Operation, Landing Operations, Tree Felling and Breaking Out – Cable