Are you looking for a qualification that allows you to drive vehicles up to 18 tonnes?
Enrol in this part-time evening course and get the knowledge and skills you'll need to sit your NZTA Class 2 Driver Licence.
From the NZTA website:
Class 2 is the medium rigid vehicle licence. A holder of a Class 2 learner or full licence can drive:
- any rigid vehicle with a GLW of more than 4500kg but not more than 18,000kg
- a combination vehicle (that is not a tractor/trailer combination) with a GCW of 12,000kg or less
- a combination vehicle consisting of a rigid vehicle (that is not a tractor) with a GLW of not more than 18,000kg towing a light trailer (GLW of 3500kg or less)
- a rigid vehicle with a GLW of more than 18,000kg that has no more than two axles
- a tractor with a GLW of more than 4500kg but not more than 18,000kg if driven at speed exceeding 30km/h
- any vehicle covered in Class 1
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll be able to apply for:
- NZTA Class 2 Driver Licence
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
6 weeks part-time
Study face-to-face on campus at set times (2 days per week). You must also complete the pre-course study materials and the Class 2 licence assessment
|Indicative Fees||$1,075 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Topics you'll cover
This course covers the following content which is applied in the context of a preparing to drive and driving a Class 2 vehicle:
- driver fatigue
- legislation requirements (Land Transport Rules)
- driver logbooks
- driving hazard identification and mitigation
- vehicle inspection
- driving and manoeuvring a rigid vehicle
|Indicative Fees *||$1,075 for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Additional charges will apply if any extra drive time is required.
*Please note, fees for our 2024 intakes are yet to be confirmed. Once they are, we will update our website to reflect the new 2024 fee amount.
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
Course Entry Information
There are no minimum academic requirements (open entry), however you must hold:
- a NZTA Class 2 learner driver licence
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 6 weeks part-time
- Study face-to-face on campus at set times (2 days per week). You must also complete the pre-course study materials and the Class 2 licence assessment