Develop your driving skills, knowledge and experience so you can operate and drive heavy combination vehicles (trucks with trailers and articulated vehicles) up to 44 tonnes, and gain your NZ Transport Agency Class 5 Driver Licence.
This part-time course includes practical driving skills, backing skills, knowledge of stress and fatigue management, and heavy vehicle combination dynamics.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you will be able to apply for:
- NZTA Class 5 Driver Licence and related NZQA unit standards
|Locations||To be confirmed|
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
6 weeks part-time
Study face-to-face on campus at set times (2 days per week). You must also complete the pre-course study materials, up to 16 hours of driver training, and the Class 5 licence assessment.
|Indicative Fees||$1,546 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- log trucks
- milk tankers
- truck and trailers
- bulk tipping
Topics you'll cover
Depending on your driving experience it will take you approximately two days with pre-course study to achieve your Class 5 Driver Licence.
As part of the course you'll be required to:
- complete the pre-course study materials, which will be sent out to you
- attend class for two days 8.00am-4.30pm
- complete up to 16 hours practical driver training including the Class 5 licence assessment
This course covers the following content which is applied in the context of a preparing to drive and driving a Class 5 vehicle:
- driver fatigue
- legislation requirements (Land Transport Rules)
- driver logbooks
- driving hazard identification and mitigation
- vehicle inspection
- driving and manoeuvring a rigid vehicle
|Indicative Fees *||$1,546 for domestic students|
|Course related costs||
Additional charges will apply if any extra drive time is required.
*Please note, fees for our 2024 intakes are yet to be confirmed. Once they are, we will update our website to reflect the new 2024 fee amount.
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
Course Entry Information
There are no minimum academic requirements (open entry), however you must hold:
- a NZTA Class 5 learner driver licence.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 6 weeks part-time
- Study face-to-face on campus at set times (2 days per week). You must also complete the pre-course study materials, up to 16 hours of driver training, and the Class 5 licence assessment.