How to Access Free Tertiary Education
With so many different free course options available now, you might be wondering which one (if any) is right for you. Don’t worry – our dedicated advisors are here to navigate through the different funding criteria on your behalf. Simply apply for your course and we’ll make sure you get what's right for you.
Youth Guarantee or Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT)
If you’re eligible for all the options, we’ll put Youth Guarantee or Māori and Pasifika Trades Training (MPTT) at the top of the list.
- Youth Guarantee places are available for 16 to 24 year-olds – you’ll be prioritised if you haven’t yet achieved NCEA Level 1 or 2.
- MPTT, administered by Te Ara Poutama, is ideal if you’re Māori or a Pacific Islander, aged 16 to 40, and applying for one of our trades courses.
- Limited places on selected courses are available.
- Both options provide extra mentoring to support your success.
- If you take a Youth Guarantee course or MPTT course you’ll also be able to pursue other fully-funded courses in the future, depending on their criteria.
The other option in free tertiary funding is the Fees Free scheme.
- Available if you’re a school leaver or have completed less than six months of tertiary study or training at Level 3 or above.
- Covers the first year of a course or the first two years of industry training at Level 3 or above, or the equivalent value if you want to study part-time or over multiple years.
For more information see the government website page about Fees Free
If you’re not eligible for any of the above funding options, you can also check out the annual scholarships that are available to our students.
- These funding options are only available to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents (i.e. domestic students).
- In addition to these options, most of our Level 1 and 2 courses are fees free for all domestic students.