Are you a health professional, have experience in the health industry or have previously studied in Health or Science? Do you want to extend your knowledge of the health care sector in Aotearoa/New Zealand?
This graduate diploma will help open up new opportunities for employment in a wide range of health industries, or pave the way for higher level study.
You'll be able to increase your understanding of the New Zealand health care system as you examine health from an individual, whanau/family, and community perspective.
During the course you explore the scope of New Zealand health ethics, legislation, cultural safety and the significance of Te Tiriti o Waitangi/The Treaty of Waitangi. You develop specialist knowledge in the health context of New Zealand, public health, Māori health models, health of older adults, palliative care, and rehabilitation. You learn to analyse and critique current research and recognise how evidence-based practice is informed by research.
This qualification does not lead to New Zealand nurse registration. It can, however, lead students on to postgraduate study or employment within a wide range of primary, secondary and tertiary health and disability sector services.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- Graduate Diploma in Health and Rehabilitation Studies
|Locations||Online, Rotorua, Tauranga|
|Next intake||Oct 2023 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Study face-to-face on campus at set times plus online learning
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||$3,832 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Employment in health roles such as:
- palliative and disability support care worker
- co-ordinator or community based needs assessor
Topics you'll cover
- Academic and Information Skills for Health
- Population Health
- Health of the Older Adult
- Professional Practice in Aotearoa/New Zealand Health Care
- Palliative and Continuing Care
- Health Systems and Structures
- Applied Research in Health
|Indicative Fees *||$3,832 for domestic students|
*Please note, fees for our 2024 intakes are yet to be confirmed. Once they are, we will update our website to reflect the new 2024 fee amount.
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you're studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- an undergraduate degree, OR
- a Level 6 Diploma or degree in a subject relating to Health or Science, OR
- be able to demonstrate equivalent practical, professional or educational experience. This must be evidenced through the submission of a CV detailing relevant work experience and professional achievements.
English language requirements
IELTS Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||30 Oct 2023|
|Online||Online||26 Feb 2024|
|Rotorua||Mokoia Campus||26 Feb 2024|
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||26 Feb 2024|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Study face-to-face on campus at set times plus online learning
- Part-time study available
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- further postgraduate studies at Level 8 and above.