Whether you’re new to the forestry industry or want to grow your knowledge within the forestry sector, this course is for you. This part-time course will help you understand the New Zealand forestry sector and other areas affecting the industry.
Once you complete this course, you will also be able to pursue further study in a related field.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- Introduction to the New Zealand Forestry Sector (Level 5)
|Next intake||To be confirmed View more details|
4 days full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
2 days in class, 2 days on field trips
|Indicative Fees||$2,364 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
Successful learners may pursue further studies towards a range of New Zealand qualifications in the environment, forestry, wood manufacturing, sustainability, or other related fields.
Topics you'll cover
- Forestry Introduction
Topics may also include an introduction to the following content:
- History of New Zealand Forestry and current context including ownership
- Species, nurseries, propagation
- Commercial Silviculture
- Environmental management & issues
- Forestry on Farms
- The commercial forest cycle:
- Establishment – site prep, planting, weed control
- Silviculture – thinning and pruning, fertilisation
- Forest protection - pest management, nutrient deficiency, forest health
- Harvesting – types, environmental management, inventory & technologies
- Processing – log yard
- Processing and manufacturing
- Factors affecting New Zealand’s forests
- Real or simulated examples of forestry sector operations
|Indicative Fees *||$2,364 for domestic students|
*Please note, fees for our 2024 intakes are yet to be confirmed. Once they are, we will update our website to reflect the new 2024 fee amount.
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
Course Entry Information
- Open entry
English language requirements
Level 5 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
Intakes to be confirmed Ask to be notified when the next intake becomes available
- 4 days full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- 2 days in class, 2 days on field trips