Take your musical talent and performance skills to the next level.
This one-year course is all about refining your knowledge, skills and capability in professional music performance, song writing and musical arrangement.
You’ll enhance your career opportunities in the music industry. By specialising in either voice or your chosen instrument, you develop confidence as a performer by playing in musical ensembles to live audiences in local venues. You also go ‘on tour’ with other students.
On the production side, you get to explore new techniques and technologies for recording and producing your music. In preparation for your career in the music industry, you also learn about the international market and gain further business skills to confidently promote your work and launch yourself as a professional performer.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Diploma in Music (Level 5)
|Next intake||Feb 2021 View more details|
1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
|Indicative Fees||$5,905 total cost of qualification for domestic students View full fees information|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Composing for personal repertoire
- Organising personal groups or gigs
- Assisting in production of live or recorded music
- Music/media business occupations
Topics you'll cover
- Advanced Music Theory
- Advanced Composition
- Advanced Performance
- Advanced Musical Instrument
- Advanced Music Technology
- Working in Music
- Individual Project
|Indicative Fees *||$5,905 total cost of qualification for domestic students|
Take advantage of our early bird fees for your 2021 study. Enrol by 31 December 2020 and you’ll pay the 2020 tuition fees. Conditions apply.*
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- Be at least 17 years of age AND,
- Music qualification (Level 4) or equivalent OR,
- NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2, and a minimum of 42 credits at Level 3, OR
- Evidence of ability to complete the academic requirements of the course, AND
- All applicants are required to attend an audition to demonstrate their instrumental or vocal proficiency.
You’ll be invited to an information meeting prior to Toi Ohomai offering you a place. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
For Levels 5, 6 and 7 certificate or diploma, domestic students under 20 and all international students must have:
NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2 and a minimum of 42 credits at level 3; OR
Evidence of ability to complete academic requirements for the programme.
- Applicants who do not meet the academic requirements may be given special admission if they can provide evidence that they are capable of achieving the programme outcomes. Special admission may also apply for applicants over 20 years.
English language requirements
Level 5 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language Level 4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||22 Feb 2021|
- 1 year full-time, including holidays (if applicable)