** Some Course Details May Change **
As part of our move into Te Pūkenga we’re excited to be part of a large-scale review of courses. This programme is part of a three-way collaboration with EIT, Wintec, and Toi Ohomai. Study at your nominated campus while benefitting from being part of a wider study group.
Gain the skills and knowledge to grow your understanding of organic crop production to give you the tools to work within this growing sector. The collaborative design of this programme allows you to build on different experiences and networks. Learn alongside like-minded people while sharing knowledge of different production operations from inside and out of your region.
You will learn from talented tutors and industry professionals while getting stuck into a highly engaged and practical learning environment. Turn theory into practice within your own nominated site or at the Toi Ohomai campus market garden.
You’ll cover topics such as organic certification principles and standards, soil and nutrient management, biodiversity and cropping system management over the course of the year.
Course delivery is face to face and online and you will attend interesting and inspirational field trips within the organic industry to see how organics is making a meaningful difference to the world.
You'll be required to attend four workshops based in Tauranga at the Toi Ohomai campus (dates TBC):
- Soil Microbiology Lab and Testing
- Biogro & Biodiversity representative presentations
- OFNZ POD Access
- Organic Producer Tour
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Organic Primary Production (Crop Production) (Level 4)
|Next intake||Jul 2024 View more details|
1 year part-time
|Indicative Fees||$3,332 for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- Organic Fruit Production
- Organic Grower
- Market Gardeners
- Vineyard supervisors
- Team leaders
- Organic crop supervisors, monitors or leading hands
- Organic Nursery specialists
Topics you'll cover
- Biodiversity: understand biodiversity improvement practices and apply management strategies to improve biodiversity within an organic production system
- Organic Principles and Certification: understand organic principles and compliance requirements and identify how these are applied to successful organic primary production operations
- Soil and Nutrient Management: understand soil health practices and apply management strategies to improve soil quality and nutrient availability
- Organic Crop Production: carry out specific production activities to implement and monitor an organic crop plan over a full production season
|Indicative Fees *||$3,332 for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2, OR
- a Level 3 qualification in Horticulture, Agriculture OR show equivalent skills and knowledge
- evidence of ability to complete academic and any other course requirements
You’ll be invited to an information meeting. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course content and to make sure you're on the most appropriate course for your career aspirations and current level of experience.
English language requirements
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
When you enrol for this course you will be asked to nominate your preferred study location (with EIT, Wintec or Toi Ohomai).
|Tauranga||Windermere Campus||22 Jul 2024|
- 1 year part-time
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
New Zealand Certificate in Organic Primary Production (Level 5)