Want to be a qualified truck operator? Get your training right here at Toi Ohomai. This course will give you the skills you need to safely operate trucks up to 44 tonnes.
While learning to drive the big rigs, you’ll gain the skills to drive forklifts, handle dangerous goods, do daily truck pre-checks and much more. Toi Ohomai provides full-size training yards plus a range of multi-tonne equipment for you to practice on.
You can also choose to study through our cadetship programme. This will be perfect for anyone under the age of 25 who is already working in the industry. The course is run full-time over a 12-month period. It is designed for flexibility, allowing both student and employer to easily fit into work schedules.
As a requirement, you'll need to have held a full car licence (Class 1) for more than six months. If so, you can choose from two different strands depending on your current licence class:
- start with Class 2 L and graduate with your Class 4 F licence, or
- if you already hold Class 2 (full, for more than three or six months*), start with Class 4 L and graduate with your Class 5 F licence.
On-the-job work experience is a key feature so by the time you graduate, you'll have a good understanding of how the industry works and be ready to meet the massive shortfall in qualified heavy transport drivers.
* length of time required to have your full Class 2 licence is dependent on whether you are over or under 25 years of age.
Upon successfully completing the requirements you'll receive the award of:
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Heavy Vehicle Operator) (Level 3)
|Locations||Rotorua, Tauranga, Tokoroa|
|Next intake||Jul 2021 View more details|
1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
Part-time study available for those already working in the industry.
Part-time study available
|Indicative Fees||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students View full fees information|
|Eligibility||View entry criteria|
To see the information for international students change your location using the button at the top right of the screen.
- fuel driver
- log driver
- logging truck driver
- truck and trailer driver
- ground spreading
- civil works
- transport management
- transport operations
- bulk fuel or liquids
- employment in the dairy industry or primary industry
Topics you'll cover
- Introductory Skills (4 week block on-campus and 16 weeks workplace training)
- Class 2 theory and practical (must have Class 2 learners prior to this course)
- Industry Skills (2 week block on-campus and 14 weeks workplace training)
- Forklift licencing
- Vehicle Technology (2 week block on-campus, 14 weeks workplace training)
- Class 4 (must have Class 4 learners prior to this course)
- Professional Operator Skills (2 week block on-campus and 16 weeks workplace training)
- Specialist Driving Skills (2 week block on-campus and 6 weeks workplace training)
- Class 5 Class 4 (must have Class 5 learners prior to this course)
|Indicative Fees *||No tuition fees (TTAF funded) for domestic students|
Help with fees
Are you Eligible for Free Fees?
This course qualifies for free tuition fees under TTAF. (Course materials and equipment not included). There's no need to do anything extra - simply apply for the course and we'll take it from there.
There are several ways to take advantage of free study at Toi Ohomai. Find out how on our Fees Free FAQ page.
Student Loans and Allowances
This course meets the requirements for student allowance and student loan applications through StudyLink.
- A student loan helps to pay for your course fees (the compulsory fees), study materials e.g. books, equipment, and living costs. You'll have to pay this money back.
- A student allowance is a weekly payment that can help with your living expenses while you’re studying. You don't have to pay the money back.
Find out more and apply at studylink.govt.nz
Scholarships are one way you might be able to get some financial help. Any scholarships specifically related to this course are shown below, otherwise check out the full list of scholarships promoted by Toi Ohomai.
Course Entry Information
- hold the appropriate Full New Zealand Drivers Licence for the mandatory NZTA period (3 or 6 months)
- NCEA Level 1 in English and Maths, or equivalent skill
Due to NZTA licencing requirements this course is not open to international students.
In addition to the course requirements, you will be required to undergo and pass a pre drive drug test, as part of Health and Safety and Industry requirement, and any further subsequent testing as deemed necessary to complete and successfully graduate from the course.
English language requirements
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed New Zealand Certificate in English Language Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined by NZQA.
Return to course overview
Course Locations and Intake Information
|Rotorua||Waipā Campus||26 Jul 2021|
|Tokoroa||Tokoroa Campus||26 Jul 2021|
|Tauranga||Logistics Training Centre||14 Feb 2022|
|Rotorua||Waipā Campus||28 Mar 2022|
|Tokoroa||Tokoroa Campus||16 May 2022|
|Tauranga||Logistics Training Centre||25 Jul 2022|
- 1 semester full-time, including holidays (if applicable)
- Part-time study available for those already working in the industry.
- Part-time study available
Further Study Options
Courses Offered at Toi Ohomai
Courses Currently Under Development at Toi Ohomai, or Offered at Other Institutions
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Specialist Driver) (Level 4)
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Senior Driver) (Level 5)